Have you already been to Kronshtadt? This small town is located only 300 km far from Saint-Petersburg and its fame resounded since its foundation up to nowadays. Kronshtadt is familiar to everyone more than 300 years. Peter the Great founded this town – fortress - port in 1704 for the protection of Saint-Petersburg against enemies from the Baltic Sea side as during this period the Great Northern War was running. And still the attention of the whole world is gained by this not big town.
The Naval Cathedral is open for visitors daily from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Note: All excursions inside the cathedral are forbidden!
The ceremonial laying of the walls took place on the 8th of March 1903 with the emperor Nikolay II and members of the imperial family presence. On the whole construction of the cathedral was quite fast. Interior finish was commenced already in 1907. The cathedral was illuminated by 5 thousand lights.
Interior decor was made in the Byzantiane style and was connected with marine theme - picture of ship parts, fish, sea monsters. The floor is mosaic of small colorful marble with the images of vessels, sea stars, crabs, seaweeds, outlandish fish. 130 memorial tablets of black marble with the names of perished sailors and 20 tablets of white marble with the names of perished ship priests were fixed on the inner walls of the gallery.
A cinema named after Maksim Gorkiy was opened in the Naval Cathedral building at the beginning of 1930 and part of rooms were used as storage. The crosses were taken down from the domes, the bells were thrown down, the altar was demounted. Art painting of domes and walls inside was covered with paint. To protect the cathedral from complete destruction the Navy authority asked the government to hand it to its responsibility.
The building itself was reconstructed in 1950: hung ceiling and inner walls for spectators hall for 2500 seats were constructed for the Naval Club. This unique building was taken under the government protection as an architectural monument in 1975. The Sailors Club was established here from 1978 to 1989.
In 2002 the Naval Cathedral was consecrated and the central cross was fixed again on the main dome.
19 April, 2012 - the Patriarh Kirill leaded the consecration of the minororders ceremony.
May, 2013 - the opening of the cathedral was conducted after its completed restoration to its 100th anniversary from the consecration day.